Thursday, October 21, 2010

Another candle on the cake

Another year comes and goes and I'm another year older but still none this wiser.  Not that I expected to wake up on my 28th birthday and have some life altering epiphany but it would be nice to have some idea or clarity on where I'm supposed to go from here.  I know I know, wouldn't we all. 



My major accomplishment in life thus far is that I have my true love and we have an amazing little boy (that I haven't managed to mess up just yet) and he is my heart and soul...for me, that's enough.  I used to think life was about so much more.  That to truly be living life, it should be full of amazing adventures and taking chances.  While that is the case for some, I realize, as I get older, that isn't the case for me.  It's the little things in life that sometimes turn out to be the greatest adventures of all.  Don't get me wrong, it would be great to be a well versed traveler having been there and done that but seeing how I could never get my money tree to grow, I'm a little short on extra curricular play cash but that doesn't really matter to me anymore. 

Watching my son learn, grow and soak up the world around him like a straw, is an amazing adventure.  Having him learn it from me and his daddy is where the taking chances comes in.  :-)














Finding the love of my life didn't require some huge adventure, granted I made a few missteps along the way before I realized it but he was right under my nose and 10 mins down the road the whole time.  Being willing to submit my heart to someone the way I did him was a chance well worth taking. 
Every time I visit my family, that's a unique adventure in itself and every time I tell them good-bye there is a chance I could never see them again. 

This past year was a great one and I'm beyond excited to see what comes next.  I know we are never guaranteed tomorrow so I will live each day to the fullest the only way I know how...I will make sure the people I love know just how much I love them, I will hold on tighter to the friends I have and the ones I've neglected and I will kiss and hug my son morning, noon and night and every moment in between.  And if there's time I might have an adventure or 2. 

Now, my favorite part...Lessons I've learned this past year:
1. it was confirmed that Lincoln County is mostly made up of racist, judgemental, hypocritical morons that would believe Elvis was resurrected out of a goats butt if they read it in the Lincoln Times News.
2. I learned that without some type of workout, it's nearly impossible to get the weight off. Duh
3. 2 brings the knowledge that most gyms are full of juiced up douche bags and their groupies and I'm better off working out at home. 
4. I learned Disney world was everything I thought it would be.
5. I learned goats will butt you for the hell of it.
6. I conceded to the fact that my grandpa will always tell me I look like I'm gaining weight even if I've lost 100lbs.
7. My brothers are still the greatest guys I know and will always be my protectors. 
8. Toy Story and Sesame street are a sedative for a pissed off toddler. 
9. By watching Philip's struggle with losing a friend, I've learned I need to be a better one.
10. I learned writing a book is hard business
11. I learned that there are a lot of people I miss.
12. I learned that I either lost more memory than I thought or old age is coming early for me.
13. I learned having a kid is a great reason to act like one.
14. I learned I still got it .(oh snap...lol)
15. I can not completely shut my beloved Sun Drop out of my life.
16. I should go to bed earlier...but I don't
17. I learned Carmax sucks and sold me a damaged car.
18. You can literally find the answer to anything on the Internet.
19. I'm a book crackhead and proud of it.
20. I'm a bigger scaredy cat than I thought and it's getting worse. 
21. A broken toe will having me crying on the ground like a toddler with a full diaper ready for a nap.
22. I learned that there is no denying Philip is my soul mate because we are perfectly goofy together.  When I trip and fall he's there to laugh his ass of at me (while helping me up of course.) lol.
23. My parent's are loud and proud about their new found youth and that makes me happy.
24. I couldn't ask for a better 2nd family to be brought into than Philip's.
25. Never ride the Intimidator with gum in your mouth.
26. It takes 3 bullets, a garden rake, a rock and a brick to get rid of a opossum.
27. Toy Story on ice + Philip + a hungry, nap deprived Xander + being surrounded by other hungry, nap deprived, sugared up, excited kids = a bad idea.
28. Too many people think they are poets, writers, Confucius and all together know-it-alls.
and one to grow on....
29. Everyday has the potential of being better than the last. 

1 comment: